The communications challenge across the Defra group is one of the most complex and exciting opportunities in public sector communications. Everyone is affected by the work of Defra group. We deal with a vast range of issues that profoundly impact on people’s lives. We are here to make our air purer, our water cleaner, our land greener and our food more sustainable. Our mission is to restore and enhance the environment for the next generation.
The successful applicants will manage exciting and important behaviour change campaigns such as a campaign to reduce the demand for puppies and kittens sold by third parties and supplied by low-welfare and illegal breeders or campaigns to encourage actions to help improve air quality and lessen the impact on individuals and those around them.
The role sits within the Campaigns, Digital Engagement and Brand function. This team is part of the wider communications group, working closely with press office, our internal and digital teams, and our Arm’s Length Bodies to drive and deliver our strategic priorities. Our team is ambitious about what communications can achieve and believe in its power to challenge perceptions, change behaviour, build partnerships and make a social and economic difference.
By joining the team you would have exposure to the full communications mix; the opportunity to work closely with policy teams, other government departments and a range of external partners to find new and fresh ways of reaching target audiences.
• Manage campaign implementation across internal teams, cross-government departments, external partners and suppliers.
• Manage the procurement of multiple external suppliers and agencies using government procurement process and contracts.
• Identify audiences and interpret data, and insight, to implement targeted campaign and marketing strategies.
• Use innovation and creativity to plan and deliver low cost/no-cost and funded campaigns.
• Develop campaign plans that are driven by insight and have strong methodology and KPIs in place to optimise activity, measure success and capture return on investment (ROI).
• Translate business objectives into campaign objectives, generate ideas and plans to meet them and confidently provide communications guidance.
• Work in collaboration with and commission content from in-house teams and external agencies, managing the process from briefing through to sign-off.
• Manage and track campaign budget and plans, ensuring that activity is delivered on time and to budget, and there is demonstration of value for money.
• Proven experience of managing integrated behaviour change campaigns across the full marketing and communications mix.
• Strong influencing skills and experience of building positive relationships and networks internally and externally, including campaign partners.
• Experience of carrying out competitive procurement processes to commission and manage external suppliers and marketing agencies.
• An eye for detail and the ability to develop campaign creatives.
• A passion for, and knowledge of, campaign and marketing techniques, industry innovation and best practice.
• Proven track record of demonstrating campaign impact and evaluating communications activity to achieve real outcomes.
• Experience of effectively working with, advising and influencing senior colleagues on communications issues.
• Strong analytical skills, plus excellent written and oral communications skills reflecting the need to explain complex policy areas to non-specialist audiences in a clear and engaging way.