The Strategic Communications and Briefing Team is a team of five, working across a wide variety of cross-cutting policy agendas. The team is responsible for communicating internally across the Unit, as well as supporting teams with their external communications needs. The team also runs the Unit’s ‘briefing hub’, supports the unit in co-ordinating ministerial speeches and briefings, as well as responding to Questions in the Houses of Parliament. The role will require excellent verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to adapt styles, methods and timing to maximise understanding and impact for a range of audiences. The candidate will also need to work flexibly across the Unit taking on new tasks when required, work well under pressure and respond positively to change, with a proven ability to build partnerships across a range of stakeholders.
The successful candidate would be joining a highly motivated team who are working to develop a newly established Portfolio Management Office responsible for planning, risk and issue management, governance and reporting across the Cities and Local Growth Unit. This role will require an enthusiastic individual to help implement new ways of working across the Unit, work innovatively and inspire others about the use of project delivery disciplines. Can work flexibly across the unit, when required, whilst having excellent interpersonal and communication skills in order to work across a wide range of stakeholders in the Unit, MHCLG and BEIS.
• Monitor the Communications ‘briefing hub’, co-ordinating requests and allocating work to relevant colleagues. The candidate will be required to develop an understanding of the Unit’s work and the policy responsibilities of colleagues within the Unit.
• Ensure policy and regional teams comply with branding and communication guidelines, specifically overseeing a process for agreeing ministerial quotes for use in press notices.
• Support the Team’s internal communication work, gathering information to be included in weekly newsletters and updates to Ministers.
• To promote the work of the Strategic Comms Team and the Unit more widely, and build networks across the Unit to encourage collaborative working.
• To assist the CLGU Portfolio Management Office in their Unit-wide weekly and monthly reporting.
• Attendance at key meetings in addition to occasional travel within England.
• Lead on Unit wide weekly and monthly reporting, commissioning teams for information, following up with colleagues including senior management and building relationships with corporate reporting teams across MHCLG and BEIS
• To support the PMO Lead on improving risk management across the Unit, working with different teams to create risk registers and providing a secretariat function to a unit wide monthly Risk Working Group.
• Support the PMO with other regular commissions, working with team to ensure accurate and appropriate information is captured.
• To promote the work of the PMO across the unit and build networks across the Unit to encourage collaborative working.
• To assist the CLGU Comms team in monitoring and assigning their incoming correspondence.